The construction industry is faced with major challenges in the coming years. In new buildings, restorations and interior construction, it will be essential to employ forward-looking and sustainable products. BASF has now developed an Ultradur® (PBT, polybutylene terephthalate), modified for co-extrusion with PVC, that replaces steel in PVC windows as the stiffening element. The outcome is impressive because the window is equally strong while being lighter and more cost-effective. Its insulation performance is also superior, with the Uf value being significantly reduced by 0.1 W/(mK).
The highly rigid BASF plastic Ultradur® binds with PVC and is the ideal solution for stiffening window profiles. Ultradur® is put to use in numerous industry applications in high-grade and highly stressed technical components. The material specially developed from an Ultradur® blend reinforced with glass fibers offers profile manufacturers and window constructors numerous advantages. Thanks to its simplified production and cost-effectiveness, the co-extrusion solution Ultradur® gives both profile manufacturers and window constructors a competitive edge in the marketplace.
- Highly rigid plastic replaces steel
- Weldability and easy handling
- Best-possible reinforcement geometry for the profile in question
- Reduction of the production effort as all the steel-associated activities are eliminated
- Omission of several steps thus avoiding the potential for error in steel integration
- Handling is additionally simplified, as the profile is much lighter
- High dimensional stability and virtually no tendency to shrink
Fast track to the mass-produced item
Greiner Extrusion is able to produce dependable series tooling for the co-extrusion of Ultradur® with PVC at short notice. With the expertise for the necessary pronounced forward orientation of the fibers in the direction of extrusion combined with smooth running, Greiner can offer tooling for this promising co-extrusion market. BASF and Greiner Extrusion are cooperating in this area to give customers rapid access to this technology.
More about the technology
More information online: